Dusk Tactics Alpha Demo Progress Report

Topics relating to the development of Dusk Tactics.

Moderator: Admin

Forum rules
Meant for general discussion about the development of Dusk Tactics. Do not post bug reports here!
CmdrLee
Novice
Novice

Re: Dusk Tactics Alpha Demo Progress Report

Post by CmdrLee »

Interesting. So will the whole thing be smashed into one giant JAR or will it be a series of smaller files? I would think the smaller files would make life easier for modders and such. But that may not be your end goal.
...well, that could have been planned better.

lou
Journeyman
Journeyman

Tactics

Post by lou »

CmdrLee wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:35 pm
...will the whole thing be smashed into one giant JAR or will it be a series of smaller files?

Sort of. This will also be a testing of the distribution process for the game as well. My current plan is to actually have it as an executable file, for example .exe on Windows with an installer, similar to most applications.

It would be comprised of the jar file for the game, necessary native libraries, and a pre-packaged JRE that has been pared down to the bare essentials. This would allow anyone to run the game, and ensure that the correct version of Java is being used 100% of the time.

Right off the bat I could generate versions for Windows32, Windows64, linux32, linux64, and Mac (specifically OS X), which would install the necessary components and be ready to go.

I think you mentioned that you're a Mac user, and basically it's just as easy to make it for Mac, it even allows the use of an icon image which is still something that has to be done manually for Windows, as well as some other things.

On a side note, I did find out that there is a minimum requirement for Mac to use this method. You must be using OS X 10.7 or later. Also, as I mentioned, the Windows version will be the main focus at first, but I am very curious to see how it runs on Mac. There's already some differences I know about, such as the way the JVM operates under OS X. It forces the JVM to execute under it's own thread which would cause problems with some of the OpenGL library code. It needs to run on the main thread. However, this is pretty easily solved by including a command during execution. I'm sure there are more things we'll face, but ultimately we'll get it running.

Right now, this demo will be a very minimal and limited version of the game that focuses on basic bug finding for the combat and menu systems.

The file should be around 250-600MB, and honestly a majority of that is due to large placeholder spritesheets for special effects. The custom JRE should come in under 50MB, so it'll be pretty light!

I haven't used this method before, so it'll be a test for me as well, if it goes well I may use this down the line for the more complete, polished demo.

--

While my end goal doesn't revolve around mods, that would be very interesting to look into further down the line. I have even toyed with the idea of releasing an SRPG Maker type program since I created a series of editor programs to help create the game. This would require some HEAVY debugging of the UI at the very least, but it might be a long term goal to allow others to create SRPGs more easily and without coding. It would, however, support scripting, etc. Anyway, that's sort of a ways off, if it were to happen.

Thanks so much for your questions as I am sure this information will be useful to others!!
-Lou

Dusk Tactics - http://dusktactics.com

CmdrLee
Novice
Novice

Post by CmdrLee »

Glad my questions aren’t too much of a bother!

When you’re ready to test on the OSX platform, give me a holler! I’m very curious to see how it all turns out.
...well, that could have been planned better.

lou
Journeyman
Journeyman

Tactics

Post by lou »

CmdrLee wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:17 pm
When you’re ready to test on the OSX platform, give me a holler! I’m very curious to see how it all turns out.

Definitely. As of right now I have no way of personally testing for Mac so that would be a huge help!

Thanks!

conmasterx
Novice
Novice

Post by conmasterx »

I am 100% down to clown in demo town. I wouldn't mind doing a good chunk of bug testing, so would there be a prefereble way to contact you with any discoveries? I feel like this forum may end up being somewhat limiting if I were to try to give a lot of data

lou
Journeyman
Journeyman

Tactics

Post by lou »

I have a bug tracker that I will be using and hopefully I'll be able to integrate it into here, but either way it'll all be in a database.

It's MantisBT if you're familiar with it, and it allows for tons of information, screenshots, crashlogs. It's great and pretty easy to use.

MonthOLDpickle
Novice
Novice

Post by MonthOLDpickle »

So, where do we sign up for the demo?

lou
Journeyman
Journeyman

Tactics

Post by lou »

Signing up on the forum is all you have to do, you're all signed up!

Yamihoon
Novice
Novice

Post by Yamihoon »

Hello, i'm new here and i want to participate in the tests. How can i help you?

tkzod
Novice
Novice

Post by tkzod »

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I have been looking for a game that follows the old FFT formula. I'm very excited to see this game come to fruition.