Website/Forum Updates

Anything general relating, or not relating to Dusk Tactics. You can even just introduce yourself!
Forum rules
This forum is open to most topics, feel free to discuss anything here.
lou
Veteran
Veteran

Tactics

Website/Forum Updates

Post by lou »

There's a huge amount of work involved with just developing a game that falls outside the realm of actually working on the game.

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to spend a day or two fixing up the site and the forum so that it's a bit nicer to look at and easier to navigate. The site itself also needs updating, and as much as I'd like to add a proper devlog, I'd probably spend more time writing than working.

When the demo comes out, this forum will be a major center of communications in debugging. There will also be a bug tracker (but it might be less easy to use for some people), so it might be worth it. Also I am considering a Discord...

I recently updated to the latest phpBB which took a bit longer than I expected and found a neat theme made by avathar (avathar.be) which resembles some classic Blizzard forums. If anyone played any Blizzard games in the 2000s/2010s, it's a pretty familiar site, but more importantly it's very clean.

I'd obviously remove the Blizzard elements, and most likely modify some of the styling, but overall it does fit a fantasy game pretty well. I've already installed the basic theme and add-ons, and it looks pretty cool. Again it's probably the nostalgia, but I am wondering if I should switch to that style.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this as the site may or may not be down for a bit while I update some other stuff and you may even happen upon it when I am testing the new style out and think "whoa is this the Blizzard forum from 2006?". It's not, but it's damn close.

--
Edit: I almost forgot the most important change of all! A new favicon, since the old one might have belonged to Tactics Ogre and that's probably not good to have on a website for a game in the same genre. The new icon is from an icon set by HenrySoftware.

Dusk Tactics - http://dusktactics.com