Combat - Hits and Misses

Here you'll find detailed explanations about how the game's various systems work. You're encouraged to discuss what you think about the ideas and even submit your own.
lou
Initiate
Initiate

Combat - Hits and Misses

Post by lou » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:33 pm

Combat is a huge system, so I'll split it up into multiple entries focusing on specific parts of that system.

In trying to solve a problem that plagues many SRPGs and RPGs, I decided on a solution, sort of.

The problem: When using an accuracy-based turn based combat system, on average 1/3 to 1/5 of basic attacks end in a MISS.

Note: Remember this is for basic attacks, when you just select Attack from the menu and choose a target. I can go off on a totally different tangent about "How often do people use basic attacks in this genre?" but lets keep this simple. Abilities, both Magick and otherwise will have their own hit calculations.

Misses feel like wasted turns to many players. From personal experience and research I have found that essentially players don't like to miss...who knew? :razz:

It's more than just a dislike, however, it's just plain not fun. In a game where unit actions are everything, you want the choices you make to have meaning. Sure, missing is a part of (game) life, but as a mechanic it sort of takes the player out of the game so to speak.

That being said, I still feel that missing is an important feature, it just needs to be handled on a case by case basis. If two opponents are evenly matched, I feel misses would be a real rarity. (Evenly matched meaning within 5 levels of each other, or with comparable stats)
Extreme cases where a low level unit tries to attack an obviously superior unit should result in plenty of misses. That's not going to change.

So what does this all mean?
Well, every attack can't be a hit as that's a bit monotonous and renders stats like Accuracy meaningless. And sure there are systems that don't rely on stats or numbers, but that's not the game I want to make.

So after some trial and error I added a concept called a Graze, it's like a crappy hit. Now this is nothing new, many games use this and obviously it's where I got the idea. How I implemented it is what makes it very very very slightly different.

How Accuracy used to work:
You have an Accuracy stat which is based on your primary stats as well as base accuracy for your Job/Race. During combat, this value is used to formulate a new value called Adjusted Accuracy which takes into account the target's stats. This can raise or lower your original Accuracy value for the duration of the attack, and this value is what determines hit or miss.

How Accuracy works with Grazes added in:
Everything above still happens, but when we get our adjusted accuracy value we create a range that "increases" accuracy by a certain amount, however if this "increased" accuracy is what caused you to land a hit, it will be treated as a graze.

I know, it's not really that amazing, or different, but in the long run it helps to average out attacks in a way that makes every action feel like it is accomplishing something without over-powering the attacker. The total increase in damage done is minor, but the gameplay effect is major.

If you read all of this, I thank you. I hope it helped illuminate the hit/miss system a little bit. Please feel free to express your feelings on this, or any ideas you may have. They will not be ignored, I am very open to suggestions!

For specific details about how this will be implemented, including actual numbers and examples, stay tuned.

I'll make another post in this topic with some gameplay footage of the feature in action as well as the current formula.
Dusk Tactics - http://dusktactics.com